Mom’s Chicken Soup
Serves : Serving size is about 1.5 cups
- 2 chicken breasts on the bone, skin removed
- 1 onion quartered and then sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 2 celery stalks, rinsed and sliced into 1/4″ pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled, and sliced into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 turnip, peeled & cubed
- 1 bunch fresh dill, rinsed
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 400g of baby spinach
Heat Olive Oil in a large heavy stockpot. On medium heat, put in chicken and lightly brown on top and bottom. Remove from pot and add onions.
Season onions with salt and pepper and cook until tender and lightly golden. Return chicken to the pot and add enough water to cover chicken, and then about 1″ higher.
Bring to a boil and add all the vegetables including the dill. Bring to a simmer and cook with the pot half covered for about 30 minutes (or until all the vegetable are fork tender). Turn off the heat.
Remove the chicken and let cool until you are able to handle it with your hands. Remove the dill.
Shred the chicken and return it to the pot. Season the broth with salt and pepper. Add the spinach. The heat from the soup will cook the spinach. If you like you can put some sliced avocado on top……A-MAZING!