Chicken Bone Broth (a hug in a mug)
Serves : 1
- 1 chicken
- 2 small onions or shallots
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp. peppercorns
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 4.5 litres filtered water
- 1 bunch of fresh organic herbs
- Put all the broth ingredients in a large stock pot and let sit for an hour.
- Bring to a boil and get rid of any foam that rises to the top.
- Cook on a very low flame for 8-12 hours.
- Let cool.
- Separate the meat (if any) From the bones.
- Strain the broth.
- Wash the fresh organic herbs well.
- Warm up a serving of strained broth to desired temperature (Do not boil).
- Put your serving of broth and a large handful of herbs (for extra minerals and taste) and enjoy!
SLOW COOKER METHOD
- Put all the ingredients in a slow cooker, cover and cook on low. Chicken bones should take 8-10 hours
- Skim fat while the broth is warm, or skim the fat off the top once refrigerated.
- Cold broth will gel when sufficient gelatin is present. Save the gelatin. It’s way better than taking a collagen supplement!
- Broth can be frozen for months or kept in the fridge for about five days