Grilled Steak with Mixed Vegetables
Serves : 4
For the Steak:
- 1 pound of strip steaks or other lean steak (about 2” thick)
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
For the Grilled Veg:
- 1-2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, cut in half, each half cut down the middle & sliced ¼” thick
- 1/2 red pepper, cored, seeded and cut into wedges
- 1/2 zucchini, halved, then sliced ½” thick
- 1/2 yellow squash, halved, seeded, then sliced ½” thick
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 pint mushrooms (optional), bottoms trimmed, halved
- 2 whole cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
Let steak stand covered at room temperature 30 minutes before cooking. Season steak with sea salt and pepper just before you put it on the grill. In the meantime, heat the grill to medium high.
In an aluminum tray for the grill (or make your own tray out of heavy duty aluminum foil) place onions, pepper, zucchini, squash and broccoli florets on foil with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Sauté until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and garlic and continue cooking until onions are golden and all vegetables are cooked. Check for seasoning. Remove from grill and set aside covered to keep warm.
Raise the grill to very high for 2 minutes. Carefully place steaks on the grill and cook to desired temperature. I like mine medium-rare so I cook them about 4-5 minutes per side.
Let the steaks rest for a few minutes, covered.