Homemade Protein Bar Option 2
Serves : 12
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup almond butter (although cashew, hazelnut are ok)
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond flour (pulse approximately ¼ cup of almonds until it creates a coarse flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp of raw honey (although, this is optional because egg will help hold the mixture together)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened whey protein powder (or 60g)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or blueberries
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut to sprinkle on top
On a cookie sheet, toast nuts and shredded coconut until golden brown. Shake up the tray at least once during cooking.
Once toasted, pour mixture into a food processor and pulse until nuts are chopped and the mixture becomes coarsely ground (sort of the consistency of bread crumbs).
In a mixing bowl, melt coconut oil and almond butter (about 30 seconds) in microwave. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth.
Add vanilla extract, honey and sea salt. Mix thoroughly. Fold in nut mixture, almond meal and protein powder until mixed thoroughly. Add whole egg and mix thoroughly. Fold in blueberries/cranberries.
Press mixture into an 8 x 8 loaf pan. Cook in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.
Remove from oven, sprinkle a ¼ cup of shredded coconut on top and place under broiler until top begins to brown. Let cool for 10-15 minutes. Cut into 12 pieces/bars.
(Marks Daily Apple)